Monday, February 27, 2006

Stung Like A Bee at Gate C3

 

              Floated like a butterfly...even through the airport.

                    Muhammad Ali Photo

Cassius Clay, Jr. aka Muhammed Ali, the first man to win the heavyweight championship three times.

These days, most people meet Muhammad Ali by chance, unexpectedly, as in an airport or restaurant.   I became one of the lucky few, almost. Although I did not meet him, I did chase him frantically through LaGuardia Airport yesterday with my cell phone in hand.  I was under the influence of a rum and diet coke or two.   Airports and alcohol go hand in hand for me.  I was hoping to get a picture of him from behind or from the side, wherever I could.  Something is better than nothing I reasoned.  Then I came to my senses which usually does not come easily.  Watching him walk by, even though it was with the aid of a walker and his head held high, was memory enough for me.  I didn't need a dumb cell phone picture to capture the feeling I had chasing this mountain of a man.  It seemed wrong to be in pursuit of someone that deserves to be watched in awe.  Not chased after like a butterfly.  Just stand back and appreciate the moment, then catch your breath.  An American icon is passing by.  

I was in New York City for a long weekend with my daughter.  We even made it to a Knicks game.  Someone mentioned to me how cool it was that I was sitting at Madison Square Garden.   Unforunately I was watching the Knicks get pummeled by the Nets.  My son's 6th grade basketball team clearly could have beaten them handily that night.  As a New York sportscaster said "Defense anyone...? anyone...?"  My friend reminded me that so many historical events had happened at the Garden.  He mentioned that Muhammed Ali had fought there.  It was the first thing he mentioned of all the events which have taken place there.  On March 8, 1971, Ali staged a comeback, first against Jerry Quarry in Atlanta then for what was billed as, "The Fight," his first match against undefeated champ, Joe Frazier at Madison Square Garden.  He lost.  After having this discussion I thought how ironic it was that two days later, this amazing figure in history would be walking through an airport, barely noticed, like every man who needed to be somewhere.  His daughter by his side and only another person or two.  No big entourage, no flashing lights.  Just an old boxer, fighting Parkinson's disease in a black velour althetic suit.  He became a political symbol outside the ring and his impact continues to be felt throughout society. Very few athletes can claim a similar impact.   What an honor it was to run after this man who has inspired millions worldwide.  He has given people hope and courage and proved that anyone could overcome the odds against them.  

Ali was not afraid to let people know how he viewed his impact and what he stood for and continues to stand for.  Check out the following quotes he made through the years:

                                            Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

                                         Muhammed AliHe who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.

When you are as great as I am it is hard to be humble.

                                                 Muhammad AliWars of nations are fought to change maps. But wars of poverty are fought to map change.

There are no pleasures in a fight but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win.

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

                                       Muhammad AliI am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me.

And he makes no apologies for any of his views.  There will never be another Ali.  As Ali put it best, "it's not bragging if you can back it up".  Humble not spoken here.  Muhammed Ali always backs it up.

No comments: